Today, as I waited on Harold at his Dr's appt. in Jackson, people watching was my favorite past time. I love to do this! I'm not judging their clothes, looks or etc., my thoughts are what could they be dealing with to be there. How serious is their illness. How sad to see all these old folks alone....then my heart began to be saddened. More and more people were arriving, mostly older couples. Couples that were in such bad shape I had to wonder which one was to see the Dr. Little, frail old lady barely getting around herself, helping her husband (I'm assuming) on a walker carrying his bag of meds. Old, bent over men with canes lovingly trying to help their wives who too are walking with canes, carrying meds.
To me it's such a sad thing to see how far we have NOT come in helping our elderly. It was so sad to see these couples alone, having had DRIVEN there, and barely getting around. Children having to work, or just working to be out of the home, or heaven forbid (even tho more than I hate to think) children not wanting to help their parents.
Then as God would have it, He threw in a little funny for me. An elderly lady came in alone, sat down and waited on her "driver" to park. Her face was stern, mean, almost growling. It was almost as if she were a balloon that would burst in a moment. Just a few minutes after her, another much older lady, shuffles in, with help, and sits DIRECTLY across from the "growling" woman. The difference was the shuffling lady is all smiles. She never stopped. She seemed to just be happy to be somewhere. Her body language was relaxed...a very loving great grandmother to someone is what I pictured. The funny part, but also heart saddening, was watching the "growling" woman trying NOT to look at the beautiful, loving smiles being sent her way. Oh how I wanted that "growling" lady to accept that smile, but she never did. God sent it to her, she just didn't receive.
One walked away happily to accept whatever came her way. The other, well it's safe to say she was walking in uptight and would most likely leave the same.
I've thought about the situations since being home and couldn't help but think of these older folks.
As I walked around taking pictures of our new roses blooming,


Trinity growing,

and even my Christmas? Cactus (it bloomed then), Valentine? Cactus (it also bloomed around then) blooming yet again,
I turn around, look up and there in the pine tree was my answer to today and for EVERY day!
Do you see it?
As I stood there in awe, I take the picture, went around to take it from another angle and it wasn't the same....only from this one angle could you see it.
How about now with it zoomed in for you?
YES...ISN'T IT WONDERFUL?!!! A hand!
A reminder that we are to "hand" Christ ALL things. These people will never know that they've been "handed" over to Christ, but I KNOW they will feel it...maybe feel the touch of His hand on their shoulder : )
Have a HAND OVER day with Christ!
God bless you and yours.
4 comments:
You know if I had been there I would have had to make that lady smile or talk to me. I couldn't have stood not to. I just couldn't have let her alone.
It's sad to say but there are some people in this world that no matter what you can't make them happy, so we do what we can and be thankful that we as Christians can take whatever life throws our way.
The roses are really pretty and I didn't make out the hand until you did the close up, good thing you did.
I think I would have done the same thing you did. And, knowing you, you probably lifted her up in prayer to our Lord and asked HIM to hug her in the way that HE knows she needs. It is sad that children of elderly parents are not there to help them when they need it. Beautiful roses. I love the trellis. You DO have a green thumb, my friend. Love, Debra
For me, I was just an observer this day...God did not place me in front of or near this lady. Some days you are placed to observe and gain insightful skills...other days, God places you along side, in front of someone to practice what you have learned.
Post a Comment