We have been soooo busy this week with lots of stuff, but wanted to take a minute and share with you our Sunday Service that was a little different than most.
About 4 yrs. ago the Worship Committee, upon the Jolly Elders request, set aside June 24 for our Senior Adult Sunday. On this special day our Senior adults are in charge of the service from start to finish.
So from Acolytes, Bible bearer, Banner bearer, offering, special offertory music (our Jolly Elders group), all done by our Senior Adults. The Sermon consisted of 3 of our Senior Adults sharing with us Testimonials or what was put on their hearts to share with us. They ALL did a GREAT job! To see them excited about participating is always a wonderful thing to me. I love this group of folks so much that on this Special day I try to "surprise"honor them in some way. For 2 years now God has been giving me little things to think about but not the whole idea, until the week of the Service. When He filled me in with what He wanted to see done, I ran with it to see it through. After writing His words and contacting my good friend Barbara Herring, the "surprise" was successful.
As I stood at the podium...shaking like a leaf....I began to read aloud God's words He had been sharing with me. When I got to the part of calling each Senior Adult (37) name aloud, Barbara would place a flower in a vase, that had been sitting with only greenery in it and needless to say, got the attention of LOTS of curious folks, until she had arranged a BEAUTIFUL flower arrangement. The last flower to be placed was a lily in the center of the arrangement representing Christ who is the center of each of their lives. 
I think of the Bible verse....Matthew 18:20 that says, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Without Barbara's help, me alone could not have fully given to the Senior Adults what the Lord wanted to give them. Now Barbara, when you read this blog & see the arrangement, don't start thinking about what you should have done and where you should have placed something...you did a great job and it was done just as God wanted it!
It was such a pleasure to stand before them and see their faces as this "surprise" unfolded. They mean so much to me and even much more to Christ.
I'll leave you with one of the Scriptures Ms. Madelene read on Sunday:
Leviticus 19:32....."Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord."
CHECK ON A SENIOR ADULT TODAY...talk to them...Their wisdom gained from experience can save us from many pitfalls!
0 comments:
Post a Comment