THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Thursday, August 09, 2007

HUGGED BY GOD.....


This may not mean much to you, but it meant a great deal to me.

Last evening, Harold, JoBea, Tyler S., and myself rode to Natchez for some school supplies...and still looking for JoBea a pair of school shoes. Wal-mart was our first stop, where Tyler's mom was meeting us to get his supplies, then on to eat.

Of course, the ONLY place to eat in Natchez...according to most teens, is La Fiesta....I prefer Biscuit & Blues myself : ) We tanked up, gained our second wind then drove across the parking lot to K-Mart (Wal-mart didn't have anything but college ruled paper) looking for the wide ruled paper. Entering K-Mart, Harold and I go all the way to the back because I see a few binders. They had school supplies all over that store, but of course, no where near each other. Anyway, on my wild goose chase, I head down an isle and this woman (who was with her school guardian or group home mother) turns toward me and without saying a word reaches out with both arms for a hug. She stepped towards me & I stepped towards her to share a BIG warm hug. This made my day...I was hugged by God and it was real. From someone I never met nor will again. Why did it mean so much to me? Most folks don't know, but for 3 yrs. I worked for S.W. Mental Health as their Group Home Manager. I was the "Mother" for 6 Developmentally Challenged guys and I LOVED IT! How did someone without a college degree (I had my Cosmetology license) get a job like this? God, I can assure you...it was a God thing. You see, I have a 1st cousin with Downs Syndrome. He was never treated any differently than any of us. He had his chores and etc. as we all did. He grew up learning to ride a bike, drive a car, work and be good at ALL his daily living skills. I always had/have a special place in my heart for him and all others that are special. After a divorce, I headed to the Employment agency and of course, they had nothing. As I stood up from the workers desk, I quickly sat back down (very unlike me) and said, "Do you know what my dream job would be, where my heart is?" She replied, "What would that be?" I explained to her that I have ALWAYS wanted to work with "special" people, those with Downs Syndrome, the developmentally challenged. A big smile came to her face and she told me about an opening at S.W. Mental Health for a Group Home position and made me an appt. for an interview. It would be a couple days later. I was ok, until the drive to McComb. I was asking myself, "Why am I going? I don't have a college degree? They are going to laugh me out the place." I arrive at my destination, and I wait to be called back. When they do I enter an office with one chair, that would be mine, at a desk across from not ONE not TWO but THREE of the upper management people! I wanted to bolt and run, but for once in my life I stood firm with myself that I would sell myself for what I know in my heart. I did have some prior experience from working at Lincoln Residential Center in Brookhaven but that was it. They asked questions, I answered. The last question I was asked was, "What makes you think you are suited for this job?" I told them of my cousin and I have ALWAYS believed they could make something of themselves as long as we worked patiently, lovingly but yet firmly with them. They can be productive just like the rest of us.

They smiled and laughed then told me they would call me, and it would be a while because they had other applicants. I left KNOWING I would not get that job because of their laughter. No other job became available for me while I waited for the call I KNEW I would not receive....then I received a call. S.W. Mental Health was hiring me!!!! What put me over all other applicants was I spoke from my heart. They told me their laughter was because it was refreshing to hear someone that truly had a heart for these "special" people.

It was a job from God. Everyone at work kept telling me how the guys really needed me, they could see a change in them....that may have been so, but God knew I needed them even more.

There is NEVER a day that goes by that I don't think of my "guys" or the "gals" I have met. Their love is real. Their faith in God is astounding. Their lives humble me.

I run into my clients from time to time, and yes, they still remember me. Some I have trained to work on jobs such as McDonald's, Wendy's, and places. One has even gone from working at McDonald's to working for the City of McComb! I told him I was so very proud of him and his face just beamed.

What I have ALWAYS admired in these "special" folks is they love unconditionally. They are quick to FORGIVE and are there if ever a need....always ready and willing to help others.

Oh, the things we can learn from them!

So you see, that one hug, even tho I didn't know her, was filled with all the memories I keep near and dear to my heart from all my "special" family...God's special children.


"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

Matthew 18:10


I pray for you a SPIRIT filled day!!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story. Our niece has Downs. She works for a neighborhood McDonald's in Baton Rouge. They "tip" her there. She believes if she isn't at work the place doesn't open! :) She uses her tips for manicures and pedicures and saves part of every paycheck. Her heart is as big as Dallas and she truly loves to come to MS to see her "Uncle Ed". This niece is 25 years old.